Monday, December 13, 2010

Bruce Irons - The Gorilla in the Room

Last week the 40th Annual Surfer Poll Awards were held at Turtle Bay Resort, Oahu. The ceremony was dedicated to the memory of Andy Irons and it was Bruce’s acceptance speech on behalf of his older brother’s award for 6th male surfer that left the audience breathless. Following a tribute video to AI, Bruce moved onto the stage and talked about his brother’s life, Andy Axel Irons Jr. and killing the gorilla in the room. Here’s a transcription of his touching speech:

“Thank you guys very much. I just want to thank the surfing community for being really loving and putting stuff like that together up (tribute video to AI, check it out here), Matt (Beauchesne) thank you.

My brother loved surfing more than anyone I know. All you people in this room, a lot of you guys up here getting awards, my brother idolised you guys, even though he might not have shown that love in the heats, or wanted to kill you, run you over. And Kelly, even though he wanted to chop your head off in the heats, he looked up to you so much, ever since we were kids. He’s looking down and – 10 world titles – he was stoked just to get three on you. Got to give it up for Kelly for those 10 world titles, man. That’s amazing.My brother, he loved your surfing…

And another thing, my brother’s wife, Lyndie, she going to be having a baby on the 8th and I’m going home tomorrow to be there for the birth. I’m going to be the father figure in his life and we’re all going to see Andy Axel Jr. soon. Yet as grieving as it sucks, but we’re going to have to live with it – my brother’s never going to be forgotten – but he’d be wanting you guys to be having a good time, you know my brother, he’d be like “whoop, whoop, whoop.” So, I know it’s hard, but let’s kill that big Gorilla in the room, or something. He’d want everybody to have a good time and enjoy tonight. I just want to thank all you guys again for being so supportive of my brother and his career. I really appreciate it. Thank you guys.”

–By Simon Nicholas

source: stabmag

No comments:

Post a Comment